-
September 9th, 2006, 01:40 AM
#1
Inactive Member
I am new here so I'm asking for everyones patience. I have several Altec speakers I have aquired over the years and have recently decided to build a set of A-7's. I believe I have all the correct drivers except I do have a few questions. I believe the LF drivers I have are 515's. Does anyone know how to determine exactly which 515's they might since they have no data stickers on them?
-
September 9th, 2006, 01:30 PM
#2
Inactive Member
The first generation of 515's were made from 1945 to about 1955 (approx.), handled 35 watts and were 16 or 20 ohms. They had great midrange but lacked low bass.
The second series of 515's - the 515B - was made from 1955 to 1978 and was 16 ohms and rated at 75 watts. It had great low bass but the impedance drops below 16 ohms in the earlier versions in midrange. Later reconed units lack midrange, but you can recone w/ 515G series cones for bass horns. They work great in vented boxes with standard recones.
The next series of 515's - the 515C - was made from 1978 to 1982. 16 ohms, 75 watts....but a 16" frame version of the 515B. Has regular constant impedance voice coil but lacks mids in horn enclosures. Great vented box woofer. Last Alnico magnet 515.
Then came the 515E. Manufactured from 1982 to 1984. 16 ohms, 75 watts. It was a Ferrite version of the 515C. Lacks even more mids in horn enclosures. Don't reuse in larger VOTT cabinets (210, 211). Great vented box woofer.
O.K. for A5 or A7 enclosures.
And finally, the 515G. From 1984 to ? .....
8 or 16 ohms, 75 watts. It is the newest version of the 515 built exclusively for horn enclosures. Don't use in vented or sealed boxes. Works better than any previous models. Great woofer........
Hope that helps.
-
September 9th, 2006, 01:45 PM
#3
Senior Hostboard Member
See if you can find a date code somewhere on the woofers- it should start with Altec's EIA number which is 391. If you post that we can date them.
-
September 11th, 2006, 09:56 PM
#4
Inactive Member
but you can recone w/ 515G series cones for bass horns.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I would put a caution on that...the 515G series uses a different spacing on the v.c. to spider. Using a process "B" kit like Altec uses will have the voice coil misplaced.
There was a period when EV was distributing the Altec recone parts were they were process "A" kits (everything is separate) and one could put a "G" kit into a B and later driver since the v.c. height was set reference to the pole piece using the EV fixtures. I reconed many drivers this way with great success.
Personally, I've had great success with the 515B drivers in 210 cabinets with very flat response. If one uses the 515G series in a 210 cabinet, the cabinet really needs to be retuned to achieve a wide and uniform response (again something I've done many times). Ultimately, a retuned 210 cabinet with a 515-16G can have a great response down to 40Hz (one must use the bass wings though). If you use the 515-16HP version (higher power) the response is curtailed to 50Hz.
In the 825/828 cabinents...I like the 416 or 515-G or the 515-8GHP with the edge going to the latter.
-
September 11th, 2006, 10:50 PM
#5
Inactive Member
Great question and discussion.
So what is it about the 515 that causes it to have so much more value then the 416?
Maybe there is another way to ask this question?
Gary
-
September 11th, 2006, 11:30 PM
#6
Inactive Member
Good question Gary. Here is what I need to know. I have one 515b that need to be reconed, I am looking for another so I can put together my 511b horns and 902-8b's. I am going to have GPA recone and change them to 8 ohms. should I stick with the standard 515b recone or look to another series???????? inquiring minds want to know.
-
September 11th, 2006, 11:46 PM
#7
Senior Hostboard Member
Originally posted by gamalot:
So what is it about the 515 that causes it to have so much more value then the 416?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The 515 was considerably more money when it was new. It has a heavier, more powerful motor assembly.
-
September 11th, 2006, 11:48 PM
#8
Senior Hostboard Member
Originally posted by quindecima:
should I stick with the standard 515b recone or look to another series????????
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What are the end use plans for the 515? What kind of cabinet?
-
September 12th, 2006, 12:33 AM
#9
Inactive Member
I am going to put them into a cab similiar to the 19 psuedos (sp?) I made. Abt 32x22x30, the 515's in the bottom at abt 26x22x30, 2 4in. vents
-
September 12th, 2006, 02:45 AM
#10
Senior Hostboard Member
http://www.wmeckle.com/INTRO/LARGE/Altec.htm
Above page lists a comparison of the different 515 versions. You'll be fine. Current recone parts are the same for 515 B/C, major difference is the frame.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks